The Top Ten!
When you send your children to JCC Day Camps, you expect them to have fun – of course!
But you might be surprised by the ways in which kids discover themselves at Jewish day camp and the skills they’ll develop here.
Just take a look at some of the famous alumni of Jewish camps!
- Sheryl Sandberg (pictured above), COO at Facebook, went to the Reform movement’s Camp Coleman in Georgia. It was here, she said, that she learned, “what it meant to be Jewish, what Jewish values were, why it mattered to have a Jewish identity.”
- Neil Diamond attended Surprise Lake Camp in New York where, he says, he “fell in love with folk music.”
- Designer Ralph Lauren went to Camp Massad, a Zionist camp in the Poconos (Pennsylvania).
- Actress Natalie Portman attended Usdan Summer Camp for the Arts, a program of the United Jewish Appeal-Jewish Federation of New York.
- Catch-22 author Joseph Heller also attended Surprise Lake Camp in New York.
- Singer Matisyahu attended Kutsher’s Camp Anawana in New York.
- Directors Ethan and Joel Coen went to Herzl Camp in Wisconsin.
- Actor Seth Rogen was a camper at Camp Miriam in Vancouver, Canada.
- Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke went to Camp Ramah of New York (today New England).
- Bob Dylan, like the Coen Brothers, attended Herzl Camp in Wisconsin.