Early Childhood Para-Educator
The Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit has an opening in its West Bloomfield location for an Early Childhood Para-Educator.
Provide individualized intervention to “at-risk” children ages 2-5 in various congregation and day school early childhood Education program. Service per child is provided for 6-8 weeks, or possibly longer. The Doors To The Future Para Educator facilitates the integration of student with individual needs in a typical classroom setting. The Doors To The Future Para Educator should be flexible in scheduling hours/days for each assignment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide one on one instruction for children requiring social/emotional and/or academic support. Instruction and/or support will be under the direction of certified staff (classroom teacher, Opening The Doors Special Educator, School director).
- Keep on going record of observations.
- Attend required meetings and professional training by Opening The Doors Program.
- Support and assist students in meeting classroom and school expectations of appropriate behavior.
- Help students interact successfully by modeling and prompting appropriate behavior. They may include their assigned student with small groups of children to reinforce social skills learning.
- Provide close supervision and reinforce generalizations of positive behavior. They may gather data, provide immediate prompts and implement previously planned interventions. Interventions may include positive verbal and physical reinforcement, point sheets, time out procedures or token economies.
- Work with a variety of staff including other Para Educators, teachers, and administrators. Contact with extended family members should always be in the company of the classroom teacher and/or director.
- Excellent people and communication skills.
- Para Educators practice standards of ethical conduct and represent the Jewish Community Center in a positive manner to the community and take concerns to the appropriate channels.
- Maintain the confidentially of all information regarding the students, respecting the dignity of every student and family.
- Must engage in play on the floor, outside and in gym areas. The Para Educator is frequently required to bend at the neck, squat and kneel. The Para Educator is required to sit, stand and walk. The Para Educator will occasionally need to lift a young child.
- Demonstrate mature judgment and sound decision making abilities.
- Must be willing to travel to all school location sites.
- Classroom experience.
- Experience working with students supported through special education.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resume with salary expectations to [email protected].
No phone calls please.
The JCC is an equal opportunity employer.