Special Education Teacher
The Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit (JCC) Opening the Doors Program is proud to provide a broad range of learning support to children with learning differences so they may be included and engaged in Jewish congregation and day school programs.
Required Education: Master Degree in area of Special Education
- Experience teaching in classroom, performing assessment and developing behavior plans
- Experience working with children with varying learning differences and their families. Some programs require knowledge of Hebrew reading.
Under the direction of the school director and the JCC’s Opening the Doors Director, the special educator plans for and provides appropriate learning experiences for students with diverse learning differences in either a congregational or day school setting. The special educator is responsible for creating a program and learning environment that provides direct or indirect instruction for students with various disabilities, at the student’s ability level, enabling students to succeed to the greatest extent possible.
ESSENTIAL TASKS (an illustration of the various types of work performed depending on assignment)
* Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment
* Identify needs of students through formal and informal assessments
* Review data to develop appropriate goals and objectives for each student
* Confer with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional and physical needs and objectives of each student
* Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student
* Design appropriate teaching strategies
* Monitor, evaluate and document each student’s progress utilizing appropriate measurements and assessment devices
* Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote student achievement
* Modify and adapt educational programs and curriculum to meet individualized needs
* Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences and progress reports, in accordance with school model
* Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing behavioral patterns
* Utilize appropriate methods to modify behavior
* Develop and implement Behavioral Intervention Plans
* Instruct students on socially acceptable behaviors and personal development skills.
* Maintain accurate and complete records of students and progress
* Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, OTD Network professional meetings and conferences
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resume with salary expectations to [email protected].
No phone calls please.
The JCC is an equal opportunity employer.