Swim Instructor and Lifeguard
Position: Swim Instructor and Lifeguard
Job Type: Seasonal
Department: Day Camp
Supervised by: JCC Day Camps Assistant Director
To further the mission of the camp by providing supervision and ensuring a safe environment at the camp’s pool and waterfront activities. Assist in the management to the physical operation of the waterfront facilities and equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervise and guard all waterfront activities
- Provide surveillance during aquatic activities to help prevent and to manage injuries
- Provide rescues as needed
- Utilize first aid and CPR and other emergency management services as needed
- Understand and implement appropriate response to changes in water conditions or weather conditions affecting the pool and waterfront
- Evaluate aquatics abilities of campers and staff
- Implement swimming lessons to campers
- Receive training in JCC Day Camps swim instruction program
- Initiate daily swim lessons for campers
- Provide a weekly swim instruction report for each camper
- Assist pool and waterfront instructional staff in program areas such as swimming and boating
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures while in their program activity
- Act as reference in waterfront activities
- Assist in the delivery and supervision of all water activities and special events at the pool and waterfront
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in the pool and waterfront program area
- Conduct daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair
- Clean waterfront area daily keeping it free of hazards and debris
OTHER JOB DUTIES
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
- Assist in the planning of any special events on or near the pool or waterfront.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND PHYSICAL ASPECTS
- Current certification in lifeguard training or equivalent
- Current Water Safety Instructor certification or equivalent
- Current certification in first aid and CPR
- Prior experience at a pool or waterfront similar to the camp
- Training and experience in swim lessons and lifeguarding
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors in the water
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Some physical requirements of a lifeguard position could be endurance, including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate waterfront equipment and waterfront activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Willingness to work in a camp setting and may include irregular hours delivering programs at the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying water conditions.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]